Job ID 4428
Salary (£) from £25000
Contact Email email@example.com
Would you like to get involved in highly sustainable, original, crafted projects in beautiful rural locations?
Austin Design Works is a practice of Chartered Architects and Landscape Architects, based in Nailsworth, Gloucestershire. Our business has been established in the area for over 20 years. We are looking for a talented Architectural Assistant to join our team ideally to start immediately at our practice based in the beautiful Cotswolds.
Our workload is varied and, we think, exciting – deep retrofit, Passivhaus co-housing design, sports facilities and open spaces as well as listed buildings and high-end houses.
The purpose of the role is to assist and provide support for a variety of architectural projects at different work stages and support the day to day running of the practice.
ADW provide a supportive environment in which to work, develop skills and experience and historically have provided good opportunities for promotion within the business. ADW is committed to addressing the Climate and Biodiversity Emergency and apply sustainable principles to all our projects across the private residential and commercial sectors. We are excited to have submitted our application to be a B Corp and are currently awaiting certification.
- Drafting of concept designs and detailed designs in 2D, 3D CAD and by hand
- Contributing to the development of designs from concept onwards
- Drafting and amending technical designs and production information in CAD and by hand
- Co-ordinate packages of drawings, graphic and written work
- Assisting with the integration of technical information and statutory requirements into design and production drawings
- Assisting in the preparation and collation of drawings and documents for planning and building control approval, tender and construction purposes
- Researching project briefs, materials and construction products as directed
- Operating standard filing systems within the practice for drawings and correspondence
- Participation in internal and external meetings, regularly acting as minute taker
- Undertaking site visits and liaising with clients and contractors
- Contributing to the management of and running projects, liaising with colleagues, consultants, clients and other collaborators
- A minimum of a RIBA Part II Architecture qualification
- A minimum of 1 year experience in an Architecture Practice
- Excellent verbal and written English communication skills
- Well organised, target focused and able to hit deadlines
- The ability to work with autonomy but also as part of a team
- Solid knowledge of planning and building legislation
- Good understanding of UK construction standards and regulatory framework
- Ability to work on both Building and Landscape led projects
- Confident usage of CAD, ideally Vectorworks, Sketchup, Adobe suite; Microsoft Office products
- Genuine team player – willing to actively support colleagues in a small practice, to sometimes take a lead role and to contribute to our practice culture
- Passivhaus qualification
- Technical awareness and knowledge of UK building methods, with an affinity for sustainable and ecological construction and an interest in craftsmanship
- Strong graphic skills, design and creativity
- Experience in private domestic sector
- BIM experience and the ability to develop this using Vectorworks
- Additional skills such as editing web pages, creating content for social media platforms and model making would be advantageous
The above reflects the core activities of the role although there will be changes in duties from time to time. The post holder should recognise this and be willing to adopt a flexible approach.
This is a full time, permanent position. The salary is in line with RIBA guidelines and will be based on aptitude and experience. Closing date for applications is Friday 18th August 2023 .
Please send the following details via email to firstname.lastname@example.org
- CV and Covering letter stating why you wish to work with us (including your current salary details) how your previous experience will enable you to successfully contribute to the practice and clearly demonstrating how you meet the essential and desirable requirements together with a brief portfolio max.10MB
- If you have any queries please call Carole Crawshaw, Practice Administrator on 01453 836393